Someone's In The Kitchen With Moozie

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Your love is better than ice cream...

...but not much else is better than ice cream!

What? It's too early for ice cream? Well, no, not really. It takes a little time to do ice cream right, and we're going to need this a little later in the day.

It's a busy, busy morning in the House of Moozie - lots to prepare for dishes later in the day, so there will be a couple more Real Time Recipes before lunch time.

I got my ice cream recipe from the mother of a (now former) friend. He turned out to be a real piece of work, but his Mom was a real peach, and I think of her fondly every time I make this stuff.

Get out your mixer!



4 large eggs
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 quart whipping cream
1 quart half and half
4 1/2 teaspoons vanilla or 1 ounce vanilla powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat the eggs and sugar together until the mixture turns pale yellow. Add whipping cream, salt and vanilla, mix until smooth and the sugar is dissolved.



Pour the mixture into the freezer chamber of your ice cream maker, add the half and half. Insert your churning paddle, seal the container, and pack it in the freezer bucket with ice and salt according to manufacturer's directions. Allow to churn for at least an hour, or until thick and creamy.



Scrape the ice cream into a large, sealable container, and place in the freezer to harden - at least 2 hours.

You can make substitutions, but they're going to change the ice cream substantially:

For whipping cream, use half and half
For half and half, use milk

If you're lactose intolerant, you can substitute both of these with soy milk or Lactaid, but the texture gets funny.

If you'd prefer not to use fresh eggs, substitute Egg Beaters.

3 Comments:

  • I've been making a lot of ice cream lately. I always cook it when I use eggs, though. Mmm, custard.


    Amy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:18 AM  

  • Yummmm. Is there any way to send me some of the finished product via email? ;)

    You staff looks like a lot of fun. :)

    By Blogger Christy, at 11:25 AM  

  • My comments today are all gonna be "I remember...." I fear! Making ice cream has many memories for me, but I think the strongest are how my uncle was always making ice cream, and then we kids were always stirring it into "soup" before we ate it. Used to infuriate him! "What'd I bother cranking it all that time for?! Just pour the damned mix in their bowls!" Of course, our mothers just serenly ignored him....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home