Someone's In The Kitchen With Moozie

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Make Me Some PIE!

Summer in Moozie's Kitchen means pie. All kinds of pie. Mostly because Mr. Moozie won't eat cake, but also because pie is just made for summer.

I'm very fond of Strawberry-Rhubarb pie:

Preheat the oven to 425F

3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour, sifted
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 lb fresh rhubarb, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 pints strawberries, washed and halved
2 tbs butter
pie crust (below)
Milk or cream
Sugar

for pie crust:

1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4 tbs cold water


Sift flour and salt into a bowl, then cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle cold water over mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing gently with a fork just until pastry forms a ball and leaves the sides of bowl clean. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.

Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and cloves in a bowl. Add strawberries and rhubarb, toss well, and let stand for 15 minutes. Toss again.

Get the pastry out! Divide the dough in half, rolling one half out to a circle large enough to fit a 10-inch deep dish pie plate. Roll the rest out to a 10-inch square on a lightly floured surface. Cut in 1/2-inch strips with a pastry wheel or knife. Weave strips into a lattice. Cover filling. Turn ends under just enough so that strips touch sides of baking dish. Brush lattice top with milk or cream; sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 425F for about 40 minutes, or until bubbly.

4 Comments:

  • I suppose we're not allowed to use pre-made crust?

    (Pie crust frightens me.)

    By Blogger Kate Nepveu, at 5:23 PM  

  • I use pre-made crust more often than not, because I can't do pie crust worth a damn.

    Annie, OTOH, makes some KICKASS pie crust. I should make her do crusts at the next Social.

    By Blogger Missy, at 5:27 PM  

  • Mmm, pie. Maybe I'll make some pie when I go home. (Not pie that requires cooking, though--too hot!)

    I just read through the last few hours worth of posts, and I am so hungry!!!

    -pam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:37 PM  

  • My second favorite pie (first is blueberry) and such a midwest thing. When I lived on the East Coast this pie was piesona non grata.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home