Someone's In The Kitchen With Moozie

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Ma Brazeau's Kibbee

I weaseled this recipe out of my mother in-law about 15 years ago - I don't remember if I did all the whining before or after Mark and I got married, but both events happened pretty near each other.

I love this dish. I've made it for family, I've made it for friends, and I've made it just for the hell of it. My friend Mike christened this "Lamburgers" a few years back. The name stuck, and I giggle whenever I make this.

You need:

2 pounds ground lamb
2 cups dry bulghur wheat, washed until the water runs clear
1/2 cup dried mint
1/2 large onion, grated
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper


Soak the wheat in 2 cups of warm water until softened (about 10 minutes).

In the meatime, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Drain the wheat and add to the bowl, mixing well again.

Some people like to taste it right about here and decide whether to add a bit more pepper or a bit more salt. If you're sure of your lamb purveyor, go ahead. I buy mine vacuum sealed and frozen from Kroger, and have never had any trouble.

Heat your deep fryer to 375 degrees.

Pat the kibbee out into patties, about and inch and a half across and 1/2 and inch thick.



Deep fry for about 3 minutes, turn, and fry for another minute or so. Drain on a paper towel, and serve with the previous 2 recipes!


4 Comments:

  • Well, that has me wishing I could buy lamb around here...

    Amy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 PM  

  • I've had it with both all lamb and when you mixed in beef. I liked the mixed version much better. It was funny to watch Mark and John eating it raw though.

    Stina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:33 PM  

  • Hey, are you actually cooking all these things today?

    By Blogger Philipp Lenssen, at 3:08 PM  

  • Hey Philipp! I'm so glad to see you over here!

    Yes, I'm cooking quite a lot of this as I go - everything so far but the Thai dish. If it's got crummy digital pictures, it's being cooked right then.

    Wait til you see what's in store for supper!

    By Blogger Missy, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home