Someone's In The Kitchen With Moozie

Sunday, July 30, 2006

I must confess...


I would leave my family behind in a heartbeat to wander around and eat all over the world with Anthony Bourdain.

This is not to say that I would abandon my beloved geeky Alton for the Bad Boy of Food...but I'd definitely step out on him for a while. And really, who wouldn't?

I love this guy, hard drinking, cigarette smoking, utter vulgarity and all. I love that he not only can use the word "fuck" on every third page of his cookbook and get away with it, he can use the introduction of every recipe to take the piss out of some snotty Thomas Keller wannabe who has either forgotten or who has chosen to pretend otherwise that cooking professionally is a hard, dirty, exhausting thing, and your pretty little CIA cert. doesn't mean all that much if you're not willing to get your hands (and likely every other part of you) dirty to get the job done.

Tony Bourdain is the cook's cook. He doesn't shiny it up and make the restaurant life sound exciting and glamourous. I'm a ten year veteran of That Life, so I appreciate his no-bullshit, no band, no glitter approach.

These are the things I'm noticing, flipping through recipes to share with y'all at 3AM.

2 Comments:

  • For some unknown reason I am up with you. Can't sleep, might as well drool here in the kitchen with you. Oh well, this will just help me sleep through the 8-10 hr (depending on border crossing and any construction) drive tomorrow (make that today)

    Stina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:08 AM  

  • Oooh, I love me some Anthony Bourdain. After reading Kitchen Confidential many years ago, I decided that he was definitely of god status in my book. And proceeded to have an intellectual crush on him. I also agree (again) w/your assessment of him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home