Someone's In The Kitchen With Moozie

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Basic Crepes

When I went to college, one of the first things I bought for myself was a cookbook. I had already been cooking for quite some time, thanks to the tutelage of my great-grandmother, but everyone really does need a decent cookbook to start out with.

I bought a paperback copy of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 886 pages of cooking goodness, easy to drag from my dorm room to the kitchen.

One of my favorite things to make from this book is Basic Crepes. They're a little time consuming, since you can only cook them one at a time, but then you can fill them with yumminess when you're all done, or as you go if you're terribly impatient.

For basic crepes:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 tbs. vegetable oil (if you're making savory crepes, you can use olive oil!)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine the ingredients in a bowl, beating with a hand mixer until smooth.

Heat a lightly greased 6 inch skillet until a drop of water dances and quickly evaporates. Lift from heat, spoon in about 2 tbs. of the batter, tilt the skillet to cover the bottom, return to the heat and brown it on one side only.



Turn them out onto a paper towel when browned. You should get 18 or 20 crepes out of this, fewer if you use a larger skillet and more batter. Don't go smaller than a 6 inch skillet, though - teeny crepes are much harder to fill.



What's that? What am I filling them with? I told you already - peaches and cream. But to find out how, you'll have to wait for the next post. That part isn't done yet.

5 Comments:

  • I love creeps. My favorite "breakfast" at Pancake Pantry in Nashville is "chocolate sin", crepes filled with chocolate ganache and topped with ganache, raspberry compote and fresh whipped cream. Mmmmmm

    When I was young, I thought Better Homes & Gardens was issued to you at the courthouse when you got your marriage license. Everyone I knew had one! It was a running joke in my family and thus I got three of them when I got married.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 AM  

  • Ok, now you are wanting to make me cook. But I don't want to in someone else's kitchen right now. But peaches and cream, ok so there aren't any peaches here, I guess I will have to wait.

    Stina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 AM  

  • Oooh, yummy!

    I'm Kathy, and I'll be your monitor today, gaining ten pounds as I read along with you and cheer you on. :)

    Happy blogging!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 AM  

  • Mmm, crepes. Now I want some, but... it is too hot to cook!

    -pam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 AM  

  • I love crepes, and I love making them. Once of my favorite recipes, growing up, was manicotti made with crepes. I remember helping my mom cook the crepes, and grating piles of cheese. Mmm...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home