Someone's In The Kitchen With Moozie

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Gingered Mango-Habanero Sauce

Kitarra, Mistress of the Kitchens over at Cooking Debauchery very kindly consented to allow me to swipe this amazing recipe from her after it caught my attention and threatened to cause a drool flood.

Yeah, I know, it's REALLY early in the day to be doing a cooking sauce...but this needs to be made way ahead to let the lovely flavors blend. Stick around...this sauce will feature in tonight's supper.


4 large mangoes or 6 smaller ones
1 ripe habanero pepper
½ cup lemon or lime juice
a 3 inch piece of ginger, grated
¼ - ¾ cups of raw sugar
1-2 cups water or apple juice

(I know, the dish in the picture looks like it's missing something. I'm only making half a batch.)


Remove the stem from the habanero and toss into the food processor whole. (Or, if you're pepper-phobic or are only making half a batch, halve it, get rid of the seeds, and proceed.)

Peel the mango and remove the flesh from the pit. Add to the food processor with the habanero and process until the mango is completely smooth.

(Wait, what? PEEL the damned thing? I always used to mangle mangoes, then I found this nifty tutorial. I loves me the Internetz.)



Pour the mixture into a medium sized saucepan and set on low heat. Add all of the lime juice and ginger. Add a quarter of the cup of sugar and 1 cup of water or juice. Mix until the mixture is loose.



Bring to a boil and continue to cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has reduced and thickened again. About a half hour to forty-five minutes. Taste and adjust the sugar. The sauce should be pleasantly sweet but not cloying. If a thinner sauce is desired, add some of the remaining water or juice.

Allow to cool and refrigerate over night.

(See the recipe and its glorious accompanying article here Gingered Mango-Habanero Sauce)

My Kroger was out of raw sugar, so I just nabbed fine golden cane sugar, which is just as lovely. I also subbed a Hungarian pepper for the Habanero - same problem, Kroger didn't have 'em.

We'll leave this happy sauce in the refrigerator for the rest of the day, until we pull it out at 5PM to get supper started.

What's for supper? You'll find out around 6PM!

2 Comments:

  • Well, come on, Kathy! Hurry it up, I could use another pair of hands in the kitchen!

    By Blogger Missy, at 11:51 AM  

  • That sauce looks AMAZING. Plus, I have all the ingredients in the house right now. Be careful, or I'll end up cooking instead of blogging! :)

    By Blogger Rickie, at 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home